The history of Hotel Europa dates back several decades to a time when it was named the “Columbia Hotel”. The Columbia was later town down and the Trennick was built on the grounds. It opened on June 13, 1910 with Mr. Charles R. Newman as the proprietor. Rates for one of the 40 rooms ranged from $2.50 to $3.00 and an American meal plan was 50 cents.
Mr. Newman lived in the hotel until 1916 when he moved into his own home. In 1920, Newman purchased the hotel. He became mayor of Niagara Falls in 1922, a position which he held until 1924. Newman passed away in 1928.
A billiard room was built in the basement as well as sample rooms. Sample rooms were rooms where travelling salesmen could display their products to the public. A 150 person dining hall was on the main floor.
During this era, hotel owners were discouraged from offering music and dancing as it was seen as having a negative effect on the morals of young people.
The LCBO also didn’t approve of using dancing to promote drink sales. The LCBO felt that hotels shouldn’t be focusing on selling drinks. As Niagara Falls was a tourist destination, hotel owners were facing pressure from guests to provide some enjoyment. Music in beverage rooms was not permitted yet many hotel proprietors ignored the rule.
Dining rooms however could have a record player, piano or small band.
When a liquor inspector found a piano in the ladies and escorts room of the Trennick, the manager explained that the piano was, “placed in this room to provide necessary music to a tap dancing class or school.”
The hotel underwent further name changes, becoming the Metropole in 1942 and underwent renovations. Ivan Popvich was the manager according to my research. It then became the Mohawk Hotel and in 1967, the Lord Nelson Hotel.
The City Lights Night Club operated out of the main floor.
The hotel has been abandoned since the early 2000’s.
See also Abandoned Mansions Ontario Wiki